Spine Surgery: Before and After & Pain Management Masterclass
Neck Pain, Brachialgia and Cervical Spine Surgery in 2019
Professor Richard Bittar, Neurosurgeon & Spinal Surgeon
Cervical spine pathology increases with age, and can cause debilitating neck pain, arm pain and headaches. Keyhole surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and artificial disc replacement are employed increasingly. What is their role? Do they work? Which patients may be suitable? Sinister causes of neck pain, concentrating on their early recognition and investigation, will be discussed. The post-operative management of patients after discharge will also be explored.
1. Identify the presentation of cervical spine pathology, its investigation, and the range of treatment options
2. Assess the role of artificial disc replacement (arthroplasty) as an alternative to fusion
3. Recognise common postoperative complications, and other sinister causes of neck pain
Pain Management Masterclass- Opioid pitfalls, Neuromodulation and Non-Interventional Pain Management
Dr Symon McCallum, Pain Specialist and Anaesthetist
This interactive presentation aims to identify pain management strategies, pearls and pitfalls in the treatment of individuals with acute and chronic pain. This presentation aims to guide GPs to safe and effective prescription of opioids, and provide an update on the current issues surrounding opioids. It covers the diagnosis and investigation of a range of pain syndromes, as well as the pharmacological and interventional options available.
1. Recognise the presentation and diagnosis of common pain syndromes
2. Assess the utility of spinal cord, peripheral nerve and dorsal root ganglion stimulation, and their indications
3. Identify safe strategies for opioid reduction and other pharmacological treatment options
Interpretation of Rheumatology Tests
Dr Vipin Tayal, Rheumatologist
1. Learn to interpret common tests like ESR/ CRP, ANA, ENA, ANCA, RF, Anti CCP, Cryoglobulins
2. Learn the clinical indications of requesting above tests
This activity has been submitted for accreditation of 4 category 2 points, as part of the racgp qi & cpd in the 2017-2019 triennium. Activity number pending.
Pee Wee’s at the Point
Alec Fong Lim Dr,
East Point NT 0820
To RSVP, fill out the quick form below by Tuesday 13th August 2019.
Spine Surgery: Before and After & Pain Management Masterclass-15-aug