Emel Ahmet is a Health Psychologist who completed her Masters in Health Psychology at Monash University. She is a Member of the Australian Psychological Society and a Fellow of the APS College of Health Psychologists.
Emel has a special interest in working with individuals presenting with psychological factors associated with chronic illness and chronic pain. Emel is passionate about assisting individuals to cope with their pain and illness and improve their quality of life including their physical and emotional well-being.
Emel has considerable experience working with clients across the lifespan from childhood to older adulthood. She has experience working in various settings including hospitals, rehabilitation settings, pain management clinics, schools and private practice. Emel is regarded as a compassionate and warm clinician. She brings warmth and a down to earth manner to her work with her patients.
Emel has an eclectic approach utilizing a variety of therapeutic approaches including Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Interpersonal therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy as well as Mindfulness and Relaxation therapies.
Emel’s expertise/interests include:
- Chronic Pain and Pain Management
- Emotional reaction, depression and anxiety associated with Chronic illness (with a particular interest in Diabetes, Psycho-Oncology, Gastrointestinal problems, Women’s Health)
- Psychological adjustment to chronic illness and medical diagnoses
- Depression and Anxiety
- Stress Management
- Improving Assertiveness and Social Skills
- Sleep Disorders
Education & Training:
- Bachelor of Science – The University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology – Charles Sturt University
- Graduate Certificate in Health Psychology – Charles Sturt University
- Postgraduate Diploma of Psychology – Monash University
- Master of Psychology (Health) – Monash University
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Fellow APS College of Health Psychologists
- Private patients